Guys, lately I’ve been feeling like an “all you can eat Chinese restaurant” where you can choose from 100 chicken dishes. You see, I’ve been consuming quite a lot of chicken in different styles. What can I say? I love the dear bird. Moreover, it’s still relatively inexpensive compared to meats.
Once again, today I made the decision of having chicken. Guys, “BINGO!” It was the correct move. I went somewhat South Asian and of course Jamaican. You see, in countries like India, the curry powder, cumin, coconut are popular spices and product in dishes. And because the Jamaican cuisine is one that is rich and consists of many influences of the past, like the Asian, these spices are widely used as well on the island.
* Chicken (legs/thighs (skinless/bone-in)
* Coconut milk
* Curry powder
* Scotch bonnet pepper (optional)
* Coconut oil
1. Chicken parts were chopped to bite-size pieces and then rinsed with cold tap water. (Make sure to sanitize cut-board and kitchen sink with a cap full of beach or any sanitizer after handling poultry)
2. Chicken was seasoned with dried spices, salt/pepper along with crushed garlic and marinated for approximately 2 hours (overnight would be perfect).
3. In a sturdy skillet, a few drops of coconut oil was heated then chicken was added.
4. Chicken was sauteed for about five minutes on medium heat. Chopped onions, bell peppers, scallion, thyme and ginger were added.
5. Coconut cream was then added along with cold tap water to cover chicken parts.
6. Chicken was simmered on low to medium heat for approximately 30 minutes or until fork tender. Chicken was stirred and turned over during cooking.
The coconut cream and other exotic spices brought my dish to another level. The marrying of the flavors heightened my taste buds in a rich and delicious way. I served my curried chicken with some left-over Jasmine rice I had in the freezer along with a medley of greens.
Guys, I hate to toot my horn, but, sometimes you got to give a shout out. MY DISH WAS A WINNER! To say that I was happy is an understatement. I was overjoyed.
Guys, as always, be kind to your loved ones as well as your beautiful palates.