The winter weather is here and is at its peak. During this time, we all wish to keep warm and indulge in comforting foods. A great way to do same is to whip up something rather tasty and nutritious as well. A trip to the veggie tray can yield an amazing and delicious soup.
And, that’s what I did.
- Chicken broth
- Sour cream
- In a stockpot, under low to medium heat, olive oil was drizzled and finely chopped onions,celery and garlic were sauteed. Ingredients were seasoned with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roughly chopped asparagus (after removing woodsy ends), broccoli, thyme, scallion were added and combined with other ingredients.
- Chicken broth was then poured along with two cups of tap water. Then lid was placed on pot allowing soup to simmer under low heat.
- After ingredients were fork tender, one teaspoon of cornstarch was dissolved in milk and added to soup for thickening.
- Soup was allowed to simmer for an additional ten minutes.
- After cooling of soup, it was placed in standing blender and pureed to required consistency.
- Pureed soup was poured back in stockpot and heated under low heat.
- Sprinkled cheddar cheese was then added after removing pot from burner.
Pureed asparagus and broccoli soup was served with a dollop of sour cream and a garnish of parsley. Rye bread was buttered and grilled, then rubbed with fresh garlic which turned out to be a fantastic dipper.