With spring in the air, I decided to tread on the lighter side of things.Thanks to my refrigerator, it had just the supplies I needed for a quick and easy asparagus and broccoli soup along with a crusty serving of wild flounder.
- Water (cold tap) or chicken broth
- Salt/black pepper to taste
- Cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Whole milk
- Wild flounder
- Whole wheat flour
- Olive oil
- Vegetables were roughly chopped and added to a heated stock pot with a drizzle of olive oil.
- After a quick softening of veggies, cold water was added along with a veggie bouillon cube, salt, black pepper, thyme,garlic. Didn’t have chicken broth so veggie bouillon cube was added for extra flavors.
- When pot came to a boil, soup was simmered on low to medium heat until veggies were fork tender.
- After soup was cool enough to handle, this was placed in standing blender along with a handful of kale for extra green hue.
- Pureed soup was returned to pot with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese for a quick heating to melt cheese.
I served my broccoli and asparagus soup with a crusty piece of wild flounder fish that was pan-seared in a little olive oil after a very light dredge in whole wheat flour.
I made sure to reserve a few pieces of asparagus as garnish. Also, I added a few crispy crackers (not in pic) to provide extra texture to my soup.