I was in a super-charge mood from my morning’s workout. The endorphins gained kept me in an upbeat mood for sometime. Thus, I went with the flow and hopped in my kitchen to make yours truly a powerhouse breakfast. I knew beforehand that the apple on my counter was heading somewhat ‘south’. I hate when that happens.
So, like the thrifty gal that I am; or perhaps I should state a restorer that I am, I decided to breathe back life. I did that by grabbing my box grater and shredded the fiber wonder. I added this to a batter made up of whole wheat and all-purpose flour and other ingredients. My mission was to make apple and flax-seed pancakes.
- whole-wheat flour (1/2 cup)
- All purpose flour (1/2 cup)
- Baking powder (1 tsp)
- Flax seeds (1 tbsp)
- Cinnamon (1 tsp)
- Milk (3/4 cup)
- Egg (1 egg)
- Shredded apple (1 apple)
- Melted butter (1 tbsp)
- Sour cream (1 tsp)
- Vanilla (splash)
- Pam spray
- Fresh strawberries
- Fresh blueberries
- Orange slices
- In a bowl, dried ingredients were added to wet. These were folded together without overworking batter.
- In a hot skillet under low to medium heat, Pam spray was added.
- Each pancake was dispensed using a 1/3 measuring cup and cooked on both sides until finished.
- In sauce pan, chopped strawberries were added with a teaspoon of honey and squeeze of lemon.
- Under low heat, strawberries were reduced to a semi sauce-like consistency with chunks.
- Pancakes were topped with strawberry sauce.
On the side, I served fresh straw and blueberries along with orange slices.