I was a bit strapped for precious time. As such, I wasn’t in the mood to separate dishes. I knew I wanted something quick, tasty and nutritious. All roads led me to my pantry for the stash of canned goods. Couldn’t miss the bright red can of salmon; so I grabbed.
I reached for a couple sweet potatoes and gave a quick scrub. Thank God for microwave ovens. They come in quite handy when you really need them. With a few pricks on potatoes, I stuck them in oven for a five-minute cooking of same. My mind was on salmon and sweet potato cakes. I love combining both. Moreover, they are both heart-healthy and would keep me satiated for sometime.
Other ingredients were:
- Egg (white)
- Bread crumbs (1/4 cup)
- Salt/black pepper to taste
- Cinnamon (pinch)
- Olive oil or any oil for frying
- Lime juice (fresh)
- Sour cream (dollop)
- In a bowl, egg was beaten with a squeeze of lime juice.
- Salmon was added to egg white after liquid was drained. Then finely chopped bell peppers and onions were added along with salt, black pepper and bread crumbs.
- After skin from sweet potatoes was removed, these were roughly crushed with a fork and a sprinkle of cinnamon added.
- Crushed sweet potatoes were added to mixture in bowl and gently folded together.
- Patties were formed.
- In a hot skillet olive oil was added along with a clove of garlic(optional) for extra flavoring.
- Patties were pan-fried on medium heat on both sides until they were crispy on the outside and cooked on the internal.
Salmon (canned) and sweet potato cakes were served with vine-ripe tomatoes and nature’s butter (avocado). A wedge of lime and a dollop of sour cream were added.