I couldn’t bear to toss. I made myself beet and carrot juice. I incorporated finely chopped ginger root and a squeeze of lime. With a splash of water, all ingredients were placed in standing blender. This was blended and then strained so as to remove pulp.
Though most of the juice was extracted, I retained the pulp which still contained enormous fibers, beta-carotene, and other nutrients. I decided to make carrot and beet muffins. I added shredded carrot to same and combined.
- Whole-wheat and all-purpose flour (1 cup ea.)
- Baking soda (1 teaspoon)
- Baking powder (1 teaspoon)
- Flax-seed (2 table-spoons)
- Dark sugar (1/4 cup)
- Granulated sugar (1/4 cup)
- Butter (1 stick)
- Vegetable oil (1/4)
- Salt (pinch)
- Cinnamon (2 teaspoon)
- Vanilla (1 teaspoon)
- Raisins (1/4 cup)
- Butter, oil and sugar were creamed and then vanilla added.
- All dry ingredients were combined and then gradually added to creamed butter and sugar.
- Pulp of carrots and beets along with shredded carrots and raisins were added and folded.
- Batter was then placed in sprayed muffin pan.
- Muffins were baked in a pre-heated oven at 370 fahrenheit until done.